News

Bali volcano: Airport reopens after aviation alert level lowered

Bali’s main airport re-opened on Wednesday after being shuttered for nearly three days due to a volcanic eruption which blanketed parts of the island in ash, forcing thousands of evacuations.

Flights were scheduled to resume at Ngurah Rai International Airport after 3 p.m. local time (3 a.m. ET), after the Volcano Observatory Notice for Aviation was downgraded from a Red alert to Orange.

While the decision will be a relief to tens of thousands of stranded tourists, uncertainty still remains for evacuated locals amid fears of further eruptions and destroyed crops.

The Mount Agung Task Force said more than 38,000 people have already been evacuated from the area around the volcano, which began erupting with clouds of ash and smoke late on Saturday.
 
Indonesia’s National Board for Disaster Management (BNPB) have estimated as many as 100,000 people could be living in the evacuation zone, with more than half still remaining in their homes.
 
At a refugee shelter in Rendang, 25-year-old farmer Komang Suterni told CNN her flower crop had been destroyed by the ashes.
“I have nothing left … I hope my son gets donations from the government,” she said, cradling her 7-month son Kadek.